Saturday, March 28, 2009

st. francis


this figurine of st. francis has been with me since i was a child...he was old when we got him from a friend...part of a birdfeeder we had in our backyard-- he sat inside a little wooden enclosure--the front part held bird seed. eventually the wooden part broke...and i asked my mom for st. f...he has moved around with me for 35 years or more...missing fingers and a really nice aging crackled finish...he is one of my most cherished belongings.
the photo i took of st. francis is with the "through the viewfinder" (ttv) method...where you use a digital camera with an older top viewfinder camera. i used a kodak duoflex iv with my canon eos rebel xti...made my own "contraption" out of black foam core and a black sock (after reading up on many ideas on "flickr") to block the light...the photo is taken with the digital camera, but through the older camera's viewfinder..making your photos look old...the black edge is characterisitc of ttv photos...scratches, dust, etc on the old lens add to the vintage look...it's fun to see the results!

1 comment:

  1. I just found your Etsy shop by searching for "Grand Rapids" in the "shop local" section - I love your photographs! My family has deep roots in GR so I really appreciate the way you've captured these historical landmarks. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete